Heartburn can be very painful for children and adults alike. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to help reduce the symptoms. Every person is different, so not every suggestion will work for you or your child. Some of the following tips may be helpful in decreasing symptoms:
- Enjoy smaller portions at your meals. Overeating or eating large portions at one time may make symptoms worse.
- Eat your food at a slower pace.
- Avoid lying down after eating.
- Enjoy plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Drink plenty of water, but slowly with small sips (gulping drinks can cause heartburn.)
Some specific foods may increase heartburn. Try avoiding the following to see if your symptoms improve:
- Spicy foods
- Fried and fatty foods
- Junk foods
- Foods served at fast food restaurants
- Mints and gum
- Caffeinated and carbonated drinks
- Acidic foods like orange juice or tomatoes