Teenage girls can still wear makeup but may find that their eczema or acne seems less severe if they:
- Choose powder-based or pencil-based cosmetics, rather than liquid, when possible. Powder cosmetics contain fewer ingredients and preservatives than those in liquid form.
- Avoid waterproof cosmetics.Getting them off at the end of the day requires more strong chemicals, which can also strip the skin.
- Watch expiration dates.Old makeup can become contaminated.
- Wash makeup brushes and spongesregularly to prevent bacterial buildup.
- Use black eyeliner and mascara.Black appears to be the least allergenic of the colors.
- Use earth-toned, light colored eye shadowslike tan, cream, or beige rather than dark colors like blue. The lighter colors have a lower concentration of irritating pigments.
- Avoid nail polish. Touching one's eyes and face can cause irritation.
- If a liquid foundation is used, choose one with a silicone base.