What is the right way to use a dry powder inhaler?
Dry powder inhalers (DPIs) are one of the devices used to administer preventive medicines for asthma. They require a little more coordination on the part of the child, but children as young as 5 years old have been able to use them correctly.
How do I use a dry powder inhaler?
- Open the device and load the powder. (This will vary from product to product.)
- "Empty your lungs" by blowing out slowly, away from the device.
- Place the device in your mouth and hold it level.
- Inhale in, as deeply and quickly as possible.
- Hold your breath for at least 5 seconds.
- Close the device.
- Rinse your mouth out with water. This helps prevent side effects like thrush if some of the powder stays in the mouth.
- Don't forget to take your other asthma preventive medications (if any) and do your peak flows today!